Last week, I received a lovely surprise from Teri at Climbing the Willow, she let me know she had nominated me for a Liebster Award! What exactly is a Liebster Award, you may ask? It is basically a blogger-to-blogger award meant to recongnize blogs with small readership and to help widen their audience.
Thank you so much for the shout-out Teri!!
When nominated for a Liebster Award, the nominee must answer the questions from the nominator and provide 5 random facts about her or himself. Then the nominee pays it forward by nominating more small blogs for the award and sending them more fun questions, normally by leaving a comment on the nominated blog with a link to the nominating post.
(Thats alot of nominating talk!)
Here are my answers to Teri's questions:
1. What is your favorite part of blogging? This! The comradery among the blogging community. It is so nice to be able to connect with other sewists around the globe, it feels like we are "real" friends even though we have never met face-to-face. Although, I would really love to do just that! :)
2. When you were younger, would you ever have imagined that you would be sewing as an adult? Why or why not? No!! When I was younger, my mom would occasionally sew dresses for me, and the process always frustrated me so much! I think it was the constant trying on, getting poked with pins, etc. on my end :) I even hated sewing when I first gave it a shot. (4+ years ago) I would get soooo frustrated because I couldn't get things to do what I wanted them to do. I since discovered it was my machine (that makes a HUGE difference) and the fact that I am a perfectionist and if the back or inside wasn't EXACTLY perfect or my raw edges didn't line up perfectly, and I mean per.fect.ly. I felt like I was failing. I have let go of alot of the perfectionism and have learned to completely enjoy the process. But I have always loved to MAKE, to turn nothing into something, and I've always loved clothes and shopping, so I guess it should come as no surprise that I now LOVE sewing and have a passion for it. I have no doubt it will always be a part of my life from now on. I can see myself as a grandma, sewing quilts and whatnot :)
3. How many unfinished projects do have laying around? And if you don't have any, what's your secret? No secret here :) I have tons. The first of which is the quilt I attempted as my very first sewing project. Ambitious much? And I spent way too much money on that crazy thing. Yet, there it sits. In a box. Someday I will finish it :) I have several projects cut out, that for whatever reason never made it to my sewing machine. I also have fabric laying around that I bought for certain projects that I still have intentions of doing, it's all just a matter of finding enough time to do them all. All while making the things that keep piling on top of those things. My mind never stops!
4. What's your favorite movie? I'm honestly not much of a movie watcher. But I do LOVE The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins equally :) I'm more of a TV show junkie. White Collar is my absolute fave!
5. Do you still see yourself doing some form of blogging/sewing in one year? In five years? In one year, I still see myself blogging and sewing, yes. In five years? We'll see where this blogging road takes me. As our family grows, I will have to adapt to the demands, but I do hope to still be blogging in five years. Sewing will most likely never go away. I found my passion, the one thing I LOVE to do, I love to sew for my kids, but I love it for me too. It's my creative outlet. Something that I need to do to keep my sanity :)
5 Random Facts About Me:
- I can only do a hairstyle for 9 months. After that I need a change. Why not a year? No clue.
- I was born and raised in Ohio. My entire adult life I have always wanted to move to NC. Again, don't know why? I have now lived in NC for 4 years. I'm a happy girl.
- I started turning gray at 19. I cover them shamelessly.
- My husband was my first and only boyfriend. We had our first date when I was 20. We were married 11 months later.
- I have a huge sweet tooth. It's hard to pick a favorite. But going out for icecream is at the top of the list.
I don't really know the actual size of these blogs, and they are only "some" of my faves. Wish I could nominate them all! :)
Modern Handmade - April is a lovely, lovely person. She blogs about the sewing she does for her adorable kids (who are close in age to my own) and she also sews AMAZING things for herself. She even made JEANS for herself!! We also share a love of cooking and baking, although I don't think my skills are up to her level of Personal Chef! I want to be just like her when I grow up :)
Amos-El - Amy has such great taste. I love the clothes she makes for her amazingly cute kids. Her style is so great, as is her photography. She blogged about this fantastic dress last week, I am absolutely smitten with it!!
I Seam Stressed - My friend Tasha is going places. She started blogging at I Seam Stressed right around the time I did here, and she has definitely made her mark in the sewing world! She has amazing craftsmanship and an eye for style. This tiny stripey Geranium is one of my all time favorites, but check out this page for some eye-candy!
Simple Love - Amber is actually my real-life friend!! We get together with our kiddos and just hang out or to sew!! We laugh because our tastes are so very opposite in every way. She loves quilting and I love garment sewing. Yet we have so much in common and love everything the other person does :) She is currently at Sew South (a little jealous) so stay tuned to her blog for all the amazing awesomeness she is experiencing there! See what I mean about her lovely quilts? And I haven't even mentioned the amazing photography her blog is just bursting with. She'll even take your pictures if you like!
Questions for the nominated bloggers: (If they choose to participate)
1. What is your favorite thing you've ever made? It can be sewing or not.
2. If you would not have discovered sewing, what would your favorite hobby be?
3. If money were no object, what would your dream sewing set-up be?
4. What led you to start blogging?
5. Do you have any hidden talents?
I'm so honored to have been nominated Teri, THANK you again!!